Ideas are great, but it’s action that turns them into reality. So do you know what you’re creating? Do you know for what purpose? Or are you in danger of getting there at a cost you hadn’t envisaged?
Here are some tips to help you achieve what you truly want – not just what you think you may want.
What is your Ambition?
Nelson Mandela had said: “In judging our progress as individuals, we tend to concentrate on external factors such as one’s social position, influence and popularity, wealth and standard of education…but internal factors may be even more crucial in assessing one’s development as a human being”.
So in your defining your ambition, consider and factor in:
- The type of person you want to become
- The values and principles you believe in and are committed to
- The accompanying behaviours and actions that reflect the above
- Keep Your Attitude in Check
It is pressure and time that develops diamonds, and so it is with character. As lofty and beneficial as your ambition may be, the likelihood is there will be challenges along the way. Integrate them into your plan and have a strategy on what to do if and when the chips are down. Here are some suggestions:
- Pick a mentor or support team
- Find an activity that picks up your spirits
- Adopt principles from martial arts, yoga and other practices
- Write a letter to yourself from a position of clarity and strength to provide yourself with the courage and insight you need to pull yourself through.
- Learn to breathe 🙂 – we tend to panic or get stressed when things aren’t working out according to our plan, resulting in a lack of oxygen to the brain, further compounding matters.
- Build the capacity to identify lessons and opportunities – turning lemons into lemonade
- Have the wisdom to readjust and fine-tune along the way
- If you see challenges as rough seas and waves – learn to surf!
- See how you can harness the circumstances to your advantage.
- Take Action!
All the ideas and ideals in the world are no good if you don’t act upon them. Imagine your outcome and break it down into the steps you need to take to reach it and turn these into daily do-ables. Here are some suggestions:
- Include the action in your daily to-do-list
- Review your actions at the end of every day
- What went well?
- Where can you do/be better?
- What are you grateful for?
- What are you going to integrate into the next day?
- Set milestones
- Create celebrations
- Enjoy the process!
You will be amazed what you can achieve when you set your mind (and heart) on a focal point. So take the first step towards realising your ambitions, the rest is there waiting for you to step up.
Want to share your stories, experiences and workarounds? Awesome! Join the community!